BC CAHS is a non-profit Society focusing on Fisheries & Aquaculture. Our lab provides non-biased, third-party Research & Diagnostic information to help make informed decisions on key issues facing salmon.
Lab Assistant (Canada Summer Jobs)
Where is it?
- Major Responsibilities
- The Laboratory Assistant (LA) will provide technical support for existing and new lab services, including ELISA, PCR sample preparation, sea lice bioassay and identification. The LA will assist and help prepare for routine laboratory analysis, sample tracking procedures (intake, logging, storage and handling) and data entry. Other duties include preparing media, helping maintain an inventory of laboratory supplies, assay set up and clean up. The LA will, as required, serve as backup for the other technicians and accordingly must have a good working knowledge of routine laboratory operations including some field sampling that may require extended hours in off-site locations.
- Key Activities
- Assist with sample lab preparation
- Prepare samples and media for testing
- Receive training in biosafety and general laboratory practices
- Prepare specialized buffers for experimental procedures
- Prepare solutions and culture media
- Document experimental results and procedures
- Perform water testing
- Enrolled in an academic institution towards a BSc in Biology or related field.
- Proficiency in elementary laboratory methodology
- Demonstrated proficiency of computer skills (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- To be eligible, youth must:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and,
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
Ahmed Siah, Ph.D – Managing Director
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org