The BC Centre for Aquatic Health Sciences (BC CAHS) is a research and diagnostic facility located in Campbell River, BC. We are looking for an innovative, hardworking and motivated Virologist interested in joining our team to oversee the Virology services at BC’s top independent aquatic health provider. We provide services related to improving the health of aquatic animals and ecosystems through applied scientific knowledge. We work in close collaboration with the aquatic-based industries in fisheries and aquaculture and academic/research partners (UVIC, VIU, and DFO). BC CAHS also provides fish health screening and other diagnostic services that support the maintenance of aquatic health.
BC CAHS is committed to being an impartial, independent lab providing excellence in service through collaborative teamwork and respect for our staff, partners, and stakeholders. We seek a Virologist with similar commitment to further develop and grow our services.
Job Title: Virologist
Reports to: Laboratory Manager
The Virologist will be responsible for diagnostic services and research projects at BC CAHS. This is a full-time, permanent position with full benefits package and competitive salary.
Duties & Responsibilities:
This position provides support for the operation and maintenance of the virology laboratory and the provision of virology diagnostic testing and research support.
Following Standard Operating Procedures, the Virologist is responsible for:
- Operation and Maintenance
• Operating and maintaining the virology laboratory and its associated instrumentation and equipment, which involves conducting routine maintenance tasks, preparation of reagents and media etc.
• Maintenance of cell lines for diagnostic testing and research activities.
• Day to day scheduling of activities within the virology laboratory to ensure on time delivery of diagnostic services.
- Diagnostic Testing
• Processing tissue samples for testing by cell culture and/or molecular methods.
• Conducting viral diagnostic testing by cell culture and/or molecular methods.
• Validating, inputting and analysis of data and reporting of diagnostic results for inclusion in client reports and/or scientific manuscripts.
- Research and Program Support
• Support to maintain laboratory efficiency and quality of services.
• Train and lead technicians whose work is specific to these laboratory services.
• Identification of client needs and development/improvement of where necessary.
• Providing technical advice and information to managers, clients, stakeholders and collaborators, respecting data quality and products, equipment and methodologies, validation of data, and interpretation.
Education and Experience:
- BSc, or MSc, in virology, immunology or cellular biology, or Technical Laboratory Diploma, with 3-5 years recent experience working in a biopharmaceutical industry or virology/microbiology laboratory; recent publications are an asset.
- Demonstrated proficiency in classical bacteriology/virology techniques.
- Competency in current molecular diagnostic techniques.
- Experience managing or working in a diagnostic laboratory.
- Experience in techniques for isolation and identification of common fish pathogens and environmental bacteria.
- Demonstrable skill in sterile technique, laboratory principles, theories, procedures, methods and practices.
- Current knowledge of virus isolation and manipulation and preparation of specific media.
- Generation and maintenance of cell lines.
- Understanding of USP, cGMP and ICH guidelines for microbiological testing.
- Ability/experience to work in a GLP (Good Laboratory Practices), Biosafety Level 2 laboratory and ISO environment.
- Well organized with keen attention to detail, familiar with Standard Operating Procedures, and proficient with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, & Outlook.
- Superior communication ability including listening, verbal and written skills.
- Ability to work well with others in a fast-paced environment with initiative, confidence, and good team spirit.
Please submit cover letter, resume & transcript to Tina Podlasly, Corporate Manager, via “Apply for job” button below by 12 noon on May 31, 2019. Only those candidates short listed will be contacted for an interview.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com